Connect with us

World

Legal setback – first asylum seeker flight from UK to Rwanda is cancelled

Published

on

The UK is toying with the idea of withdrawing from the European Human Rights framework

This follows a court ruling blocking a flight from leaving the UK with 7 reported refugees on board while the plane was on the tarmac

The British Home Secretary has vowed to “push ahead’ with deportation flights to Rwanda – in face of the delays

It was the United Kingdom’s new asylum seeker policy to deport those it deemed illegal who had crossed the English Channel in unseaworthy boats

To be deported to Rwanda – a small landlocked country in the middle of Africa.

But a last minute ruling from the European court of human rights saw the inaugural flight blocked from leaving the UK, just minutes before taking off with 7 reported refugees on board.

In response – a Downing Street spokesperson has said that “all options are on the table” including the possibility that the UK might withdraw from the European Court of Human rights.

Meanwhile, the Home Secretary, Priti Patel – said the UK vows to continue with deportations.

While the government says the plan deters migrants from making journeys across the English Channel in unsafe boats and disrupts the business model of people smugglers.

Critics of the plan say that it ranges from unethical to unworkable.

The UK has, even as recently as last year said there are concerns over allegations of extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances and torture in Rwanda.

While the UK has indicated it is toying with the idea of leaving he European Court of Human Rights – it should be noted that the EHCR is not the same thing as the EU.

The United Kingdom remains a member of the more than 45 members.

Also, membership of the European Court of Human Rights also underpins aspects of the Good Friday peace agreement as well as elements of the Brexit treaty.

World

AUKUS meetings wrap up as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

Published

on

Australia's defence minister

The first AUKUS meetings wrap up in Washington as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

The first round of AUKUS meetings have wrapped up, with U.S. Defence Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin praising the talks as an “historic endeavour”.

Following an agreement made in Washington, Australia will have nuclear-powered submarines at the “earliest possible date”.

Defence Secretary Austin joined Australia’s Richard Marles and the UK’s Ben Wallace at the Pentagon. The leaders discussed key challenges and opportunities confronting the world right now.

High on the agenda was the contentious Indo-Pacific region, in response to “ongoing Chinese aggression”.

The meeting comes as Australia looks to move away from its conventional Collins-class subs and invest in nuclear-powered vessels.

The U.S. reaffirming its commitment to ensure its pacific partner will acquire this capability at the earliest possible date.

Australia’s Deputy PM and Defence Minister Richard Marles says the submarines are “central” to advancing the military capabilities of the alliance.

“There is an enormous sense of shared mission and momentum across all three countries, in having Australia acquire a nuclear powered submarine,” Marles said.

“The significance of that step shouldn’t be lost on people. There’s only been one occasion where a country has shared that capability with another. That was the United States with the United Kingdom a long time ago.”

But while we’ve heard the meetings went well, leaders are remaining tight-lipped about the exact details and any deals that have been made.

AUKUS has set a target of March 2023 to figure out a plan for Australia to acquire the nuclear subs.

Continue Reading

World

Arrests made in Germany over a suspicious plan

Published

on

Well arrests have been made in Germany over suspicious activity to overthrow the nation’s government.

Twenty-five people have been arrested as part of the raids across the country.

The group reportedly includes far-right and ex-military figures.

It’s understood they were planning to storm the nation’s parliament and take over control.

Suspects include racists and conspiracy theorists, and Q-Anon believers.

Three thousand officers took part in the sting involving 150 operations in 11 of Germany’s 16 states.

Arrests were also made in Italy and Austria.

Continue Reading

World

Twist in trial over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Published

on

There’s been an unusual development in the trial of Airbus and Air France over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Ticker’s Europe Correspondent Ryan Thompson has more from Paris

After weeks in court, prosecutors have decided NOT to ask for a conviction of the two French companies – even as they acknowledge that’s not what victims families would want.  

French prosecutors said they were unable to prove the companies were guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Their guilt “appears to us to be impossible to prove. We know that this view will most likely be difficult to hear for the civil plaintiffs,” prosecutors said.

Prosecutors initially dropped charges against the companies in 2019. This sparked anger in families of the victims.

A Paris appeals court overturned this decision in 2021 and ordered the trial to go ahead. 

“We have a prosecutor who is supposed to defend the people who in the end is defending the multinational Airbus,” Daniele Lamy, the head of victims’ association Entraide et Solidarite AF447, told reporters.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD