Connect with us

World

Johnson & Johnson to continue rolling out across the US – but is it safe?

Published

on

The United States has recommenced the rollout of the Johnson and Johnson coronavirus vaccine, after the jab was halted almost two weeks ago pending an investigation into possible blood clot cases.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Food and Drug Administration released a joint statement, revealing that they would still warn of the risk of a potentially fatal side effect involving severe blood clots and low platelets in a fact sheet given to recipients.

Officials from America’s Food and Drug Administration said the decision to recommence the rollout of the Johnson and Johnson jab was effective immediately, making it possible for the vaccine to be accessible again as early as Saturday.

“We are no longer recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine” – CDC Director Rochelle Walensky

Medical watchdogs have determined there is a likely link between the J&J vaccine and blood clotting, ‘based on an in-depth analysis’ but urged the risk remains very low.

America’s latest decision on Johnson and Johnson vaccine follows a similar one made by the European Medicines Agency earlier this week.

The EMA on Tuesday said the benefits of the J&J COVID-19 vaccine outweighed any risks.

The European medical regulator recommended adding a warning about unusual blood clots with low blood platelet counts to the vaccine’s product label, which enabled J&J to resume its rollout across Europe.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Business

Sleepover at IKEA: dozens stranded amid snowstorm in Denmark

Published

on

Two dozen staff and six customers were forced to stay the night at IKEA as up to 30 centimetres of snow trapped them inside

A furniture showroom in the department store in Aalborg, Denmark, became the bedroom of several people who were unable to safely make it home in time amidst a strong snowstorm.

Store Manager Peter Elmose told the Ekstra Bladet tabloid that people could “pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try.”

People working in a toy shop next door also took to the department store to join in on the fun.

Michelle Barrett, one of the toy shop staff, told Denmark’s public broadcaster, DR, “it’s much better than sleeping in one’s car. It has been nice and warm and we are just happy that they would let us in.” 

“We just laughed at the situation, because we will probably not experience it again,” she added.

Another approximate 300 people had to stay the night at the Aalborg airport to keep out of the storm. 

According to Euronews, the IKEA sleepover consisted of feasting on chips and Swedish cinnamon rolls in the staff canteen before watching television.

“It was a really nice evening, enjoying each other’s company,” Elmose told AFP. 

“Everyone had a full night’s sleep, our mattresses are good.”

And when the shop reopened for business the next morning, all the bedding and sheets had of course been changed.

Unmade beds following the overnight stay at IKEA amid snowstorm. Source: IKEA Aalborg’s Instagram

This comes after 61 people were trapped in a Yorkshire pub for three nights last week.

The several people trapped in the Tan Hill Inn during the storm slept on makeshift beds on the floor, watched movies, had a quiz night and enjoyed a buffet meal.

Some guests even claimed they didn’t want to leave the the pub after enjoying the 17th century hotel’s hospitality.

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong to launch China style system

Published

on

As Hong Kong and China prepare to resume quarantine-free travel, Hong Kong’s government will introduce a Beijing-style health code from December 10

The Hong Kong Health Code will take note of a user’s real name, address and identification number.

The voluntary app is designed to be compatible with systems in both Macau and Guangdong provinces in southern China.

In mainland China, a mandatory health code dictates where residents and visitors can travel to and from, sharing real-time data with authorities.

The introduction of this health code system in Hong Kong will allow Chinese officials to open back up the nation’s borders with the city-state.

Hong Kong’s chief information officer also says records “won’t be transferred to mainland authorities unless the person is infected or has been a close contact”.

Continue Reading

World

Meghan Markle wins latest privacy battle case

Published

on

A UK court dismissed the appeal brought on by Associated Newspapers Limited, after the company published a letter that she sent to her father, Thomas Markle in 2018.

ANL and the Mail have staunchly denied that they have done anything wrong, standing by the decision to publish the letter.

But the court rejected these claims, and says the Duchess has “a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter.”

The judge continued, adding “the contents were personal, private and not matters of legitimate public interest”.

ANL says it is disappointed with the decision and is considering an appeal to the UK’s Supreme Court.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 The Ticker Company PTY LTD