Connect with us

World

Hong Kong marks anniversary milestone

Published

on

Hong Kong

Hong Kong is marking the 25th anniversary of the return to Chinese rule from Britain

Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to visit Hong Kong in his first trip outside of mainland China since the start of the pandemic.

Government officials have increased their security arrangements, including a closed-loop system, which has shut down many parts of the city.

Journalists from more than seven outlets have also been banned from covering the ceremony.

“The authorities have made ad hoc and narrow interview arrangements at this important juncture and have put forth vague grounds for refusal, seriously undermining the freedom of the press in Hong Kong.”

Hong kong journalists association

Authorities say the government is “striking a balance” between journalist access and security.

When Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule, Beijing said it would grant 50 years to keep its capitalist system. It also promised to keep some of the freedoms, which are not enjoyed by mainlanders.

But that changed when Beijing imposed its national security law after anti-government protests in 2019.

Drones have also prohibited and political activists have been told not to protest at this week’s ceremony.

Officials say the national security law ensures stability and individual rights and freedoms.

But Human Rights Watch is urging other countries to raise their voices.

“Concerned governments should avoid these official handover events and not risk legitimizing Beijing’s insults to Hongkongers. Instead, they should publicly show their support for Hong Kong people’s steadfast struggle for human rights.”

HUman rights watch

The U.S. and Britain are among those who are urging Beijing to honour its commitment to freedom in the former British colony.

Earlier this month, vigils to commemorate the Tiananmen Square massacre were cancelled for the third year in a row.

Costa is a news producer at ticker NEWS. He has previously worked as a regional journalist at the Southern Highlands Express newspaper. He also has several years' experience in the fire and emergency services sector, where he has worked with researchers, policymakers and local communities. He has also worked at the Seven Network during their Olympic Games coverage and in the ABC Melbourne newsroom. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Professional), with expertise in journalism, politics and international relations. His other interests include colonial legacies in the Pacific, counter-terrorism, aviation and travel.

Continue Reading

Sport

Bombshell pro-Russian video emerges from Australian Open

Published

on

A bombshell video has emerged of the father of tennis star Novak Djokovic, amplifying the Russian controversy the Australian Open

 
Djokovic’s father was seen posing for pictures with a group of Putin supporters after his son won against Russia’s Andrey Rublev, to qualify for his 10th semi-final.

Russian flags have been banned from the Australian Open, but that didn’t stop one fan.

A man was seen holding a Russian flag with Putin’s face on it and wearing a t-shirt with the pro-war ‘Z’ symbol on it.

Four spectators were questioned by police and evicted from Melbourne Park.

After losing her semi-final, Belarusian Viktoria Azarenka hit back at media when pressed on tennis’ relationship with Russia’s war on Ukraine.

She told reporters incidents like Novak’s father posing with Russian fans have nothing to do with players.

Continue Reading

World

FBI Director discusses classified documents as U.S. lawmakers demand answers

Published

on

Bipartisan outrage on Capitol Hill as politicians say the Biden administration is stonewalling their quest for answers

FBI Director Christopher Wray is speaking out for the first time after several batches of classified documents were discovered in U.S. President Joe Biden’s Wilmington home and Washington think tank office.

On Thursday, Wray urged lawmakers and officials to be “conscious of the rules” when dealing with classified documents.

The statements appear to be a veiled criticism of President Biden after news broke that some of the classified papers in the President’s possession date back 14-years ago to when Biden was a Delaware Senator raising questions if this is a pattern for the president to mishandle classified information.

Meanwhile, on Capitol Hill, there is bipartisan outrage as lawmakers say the Biden administration is stonewalling them in their quest for answers.

Currently, both Biden and former President Donald Trump are facing special counsel investigations into their mishandling of classified documents—and just this week, former Vice President Mike Pence turned over classified documents to the DOJ.

Continue Reading

World

Black box from Nepal plane disaster to be sent to Singapore

Published

on

The black box recovered from the January 15 Nepal plane crash in Nepal is being sent to Singapore for analysis

The aim will be to identify the cause of the Yeti Airlines crash that killed all 72 people on board.

Both the flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder will be examined by experts at Singapore’s Transportation Safety Investigation Bureau.

A government committee is still looking into the cause of the plane disaster.

It was initially suggested the black box be taken to France where the aircraft was manufactured, but Nepalese authorities decided to send it to Singapore.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD