Connect with us

World

Former NY Governor Cuomo cops misdemeanour sex offence charge

Published

on

Former Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanour sex offence filed on Thursday

The criminal complaint charging Mr Cuomo with a misdemeanour sex offence was filed in an Albany Sheriff’s office on Thursday, the first prosecution case stemming from a misconduct scandal which led to his resignation.

The filing from the Albany County Sheriff’s Office, accusing Cuomo of groping a woman under her blouse, was first confirmed by a spokesman for the New York state courts, Lucian Chalfen.

In an emailed statement, Chalfen referred to an alleged “sex crime” committed by Mr Cuomo.

Representatives for the former Governor of New York weren’t anywhere to be seen when the news broke, with local media reports stating enquiries went unanswered.

63 year-old Cuomo stepped down as New York Governor two months ago under mounting legal pressures and calls to resign made by fellow Democrats – including US President Joe Biden.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo speaks during a news conference in New York City, New York, July 6, 2021. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

The district attorney for Albany County, David Soares, issued a statement suggesting that the sheriff’s office had acted independently of local prosecutors

“Like the rest of the public, we were surprised to learn today that a criminal complaint was filed in Albany City Court by the Albany County Sheriff’s Office against Andrew Cuomo,” Soares stated, adding that his office would comment no further.

A copy of the complaint posted online by WNBC-TV media network in New York stated that Cuomo engaged in the misdemeanour offence of “forcible touching” on the date of December 7, 2020, at the governor’s Executive Mansion by placing “his hand under the blouse shirt of the victim, and onto her intimate body part.”

The complaint details that Mr Cuomo then “fondled” the woman’s breasts “for purposes of degrading and gratifying his sexual desires”

The name of the woman making the complaint against Cuomo has been suppressed for legal reasons.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

World

Hurricane Ian makes landfall in southwestern Florida as Category 4 storm

Published

on

Officials say it’s one of the most powerful storms ever recorded in the U.S.

Hurricane Ian has made landfall in southwest Florida with winds of 155 mph. Hitting the mainland U.S. as a Category 4 storm— officials say it’s one of the most powerful storms ever recorded in the nation.

Moving at a crawling pace— Hurricane Ian is prompting major concerns about flooding and delayed rescues for those who decided to ride out the storm.

Forecasters say the storm’s relatively slow surge could lead to even greater rainfall than expected.

After slamming Florida’s southwest coast with Category 4 force Wednesday afternoon, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis told residents that Ian brought powerful conditions including relentless rainfall and life-threatening winds that are “incredibly dangerous.”

He said, “there will be debris in the air and flooding powerful enough to move cars around so please do not be outside during the storm. If you’re in those Southwest Florida counties that you need to be sheltering in place. Don’t forget that Ian will produce hurricane strength winds and massive flooding—not just where it makes the initial landfall—but throughout the state of Florida so central Northeast Florida will also feel impacts.”

The entire Sunshine state is under a state of emergency.

Several airports in Florida are closed with thousands of flights cancelled.

More than 50 of the state’s 76 school districts have already canceled classes, with many public schools be turned into evacuation shelters.

Meanwhile, FEMA has already deployed 700 personnel to Florida and the governor has activated 5,000 state national guard with another 2,000-guard coming in from other states.

Continue Reading

World

Nord Stream pipe attack “acts of sabotage”

Published

on

The US State Department has described recent leaks in the Nord Stream gas pipelines as “apparent acts of sabotage”

U.S State Department spokesperson Ned Price says they have more questions than answers at this point.

Adding Secretary of State Antony Blinken will begin discussing the issue with European counterparts as soon as Wednesday.

Price confirmed the leak “impacts Europe’s broader energy security and energy resilience”.

When was pressed on whether sabotage would rise to the level of a breach of NATO Article 5, he declined to speculate.

But noted the investigation could take some time.

It comes as European countries ramp up their military presence at oil and gas facilities, following the Nord Stream incident.

Continue Reading

World

Russia is about to annex Ukraine, so what happens next?

Published

on

Moscow is about to annex a swath of Ukraine, releasing what it called vote tallies showing support in four partially occupied provinces to join Russia.

It looks like Russia is poised to annex a large chunk of Ukraine.

This comes after so-called referendums were held in four occupied provinces, which showed overwhelming support for joining Russia.

Of course, these referendums were anything but legitimate. They were held at gunpoint and were widely denounced by Kyiv and the West as sham votes.

“They can announce anything they want. Nobody voted in the referendum except a few people who switched sides. They went from house to house but nobody came out,” said Lyubomir Boyko, 43, from Golo Pristan, a village in Russian-occupied Kherson province.

People attend a rally and a concert in support of annexation referendums in Russian-held regions of Ukraine, in Saint Petersburg on September 23, 2022. 

Moscow takes charge

Nevertheless, it looks like Moscow is moving ahead with its plans to absorb these Ukrainian regions. A tribune has been set up on Red Square, with giant video screens proclaiming “Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson – Russia!”

The Russian-installed administrations of the four Ukrainian provinces on Wednesday formally asked Putin to incorporate them into Russia, which Russian officials have suggested is a formality.

“The results are clear. Welcome home, to Russia!,” Dmitry Medvedev, a former president who serves as deputy chairman of Russia’s Security Council, said on Telegram.

It’s expected that President Vladimir Putin will give a speech within days confirming the annexation. This would mean that, in just over a week, Putin has gone from endorsing the sham referendums to formalizing the annexation of Ukrainian territory.

This latest development is sure to increase tensions between Russia and the West. It also further diminishes the chances of a peaceful resolution to the conflict in Ukraine.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD