Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Elon Musk’s X age-discrimination case allowed to proceed by judge

Published

on

A federal judge in California has declined to dismiss a lawsuit against X, the social media platform previously known as Twitter, which alleges that the company disproportionately laid off older employees during Elon Musk’s acquisition of the company last year.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston ruled on Tuesday that the plaintiff, John Zeman, had presented sufficient evidence to support his claim that the layoffs had a more significant impact on older workers, allowing the proposed class action to move forward.

Zeman’s lawsuit contends that X laid off 60% of employees aged 50 or above, and almost three-quarters of those aged over 60, in contrast to 54% of workers under 50.

While the judge dismissed Zeman’s assertion that X intentionally targeted older employees for layoffs, she granted him one month to revise and elaborate on that particular claim in an amended lawsuit.

Shannon Liss-Riordan, the attorney representing Zeman, welcomed the decision as validation of their arguments, asserting that the discrimination claims are valid and should proceed.

This lawsuit is just one of numerous legal challenges faced by X following Elon Musk’s decision to lay off around half of Twitter’s workforce in November of the previous year.

The cases against X encompass a range of claims, including allegations that the company carried out layoffs without the legally required advance notice, and contentions that Musk’s approach discriminated against employees with disabilities by insisting on in-person work and demanding increased dedication.

Several lawsuits are seeking compensation from the company, with at least two asserting that X owes former employees a combined total of $500 million in severance pay. X has denied any wrongdoing in relation to these cases.

Shannon Liss-Riordan is also representing approximately 2,000 former Twitter employees who have initiated similar legal proceedings against the company through arbitration.

Continue Reading

News

Helicopter carrying Iran’s President Raisi crashes

Published

on

A helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and his foreign minister crashed on Sunday as it was crossing mountain terrain in heavy fog.

The official said the lives of Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian were “at risk following the helicopter crash”, which happened on the way back from a visit to the border with Azerbaijan in Iran’s northwest.

“We are still hopeful but information coming from the crash site is very concerning,” the official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A helicopter carrying President Ebrahim Raisi takes off, May 19, 2024. Ali Hamed Haghdoust/IRNA/WANA via REUTERS

State TV quoted an official as saying at least one passenger and one crew member had been in contact with rescuers. It also said the helicopter had been found, though Iran’s Red Crescent denied this report.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who holds ultimate power with a final say on foreign policy and Iran’s nuclear programme, sought to reassure Iranians, saying there would be no disruption to state affairs. #iran #trending

Continue Reading

News

Why Australia is becoming the new home of the Hollywood blockbuster

Published

on

Australia’s multimillion-dollar campaign to attract Hollywood productions to its shores appears to be paying off.

The allure of Australia lies not only in its picturesque locations but also in its competitive financial incentives.

The government offers generous rebates and tax breaks to international productions, making it an attractive proposition for filmmakers looking to maximise their budgets.

Despite the recent intake of Hollywood productions down under such as ‘The Fall Guy’ and ‘Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga’, Aussie independents are still finding the space to carve their own creative path.

Rob Fantozzi joined the program to discuss the latest in Hollywood, and showcased his own upcoming project – ‘Omerta‘. #featured

Continue Reading

News

Portal between countries shut down after international flashing

Published

on

An international video portal has been forced to shut down after an OnlyFans model reportedly flashed passersby from across the globe.

On this episode of Ahron and Mike Live – Which would you prefer; pay rise or work perks, an international portal closes, the military reveal a submarine stingray and are you on a top or bottom burger bun?

Ticker’s Ahron Young & Mike Loder discuss. #featured #trending

Continue Reading

Trending Now