South Korea has used a political meeting with Australia to show a sign of “comprehensive strategic partnership”
South Korean President Moon Jae-in is in Australia’s capital of Canberra, as the two nations upgrade their ties to “comprehensive strategic partnership” status.
High on the agenda was a new $1 billion deal – under which Korean defence company Hanwha will provide 30 self-propelled howitzer artillery weapons to Australia as well as 15 ammunition supply vehicles and radars to detect enemy artillery.
It’s the largest defence contract struck between Australia and an Asian nation
The new vehicles will be able to quickly fire and move to avoid enemy counterattacks.
Australia’s Defence Minister Peter Dutton touted the deal as a boost for Australian firepower and security in the Indo-Pacific.
“It is one of several projects that will modernise the Australian Army, ensuring it continues to maintain a capability advantage now, and into the future,” the minister said.
“We are committed to keeping our region safe while protecting our interests in a rapidly changing global environment.”
This week’s visit, which coincides with the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations, will see Australian and Korean ties elevated to the status of a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
The new deal shows a sign of increasing tensions from China, which is becoming an increasing threat to Western Nations, typically surrounding Taiwan.
Beijing claims self-ruled Taiwan as its own and has threatened to use force if necessary to unify the two sides.
The country’s claim has held since the Chinese civil war of the 1940s, when Chiang Kai-shek’s Nationalist government reestablished on the island after losing to Mao Zedong’s Communists. Most Taiwanese prefer to maintain the status quo, according to a National Chengchi University poll.
A straight-up military invasion would cost lives and activate U.S. forces for Taiwan’s defence
Judge sides with Trump in Mar-a-Lago investigation
A United States Federal Judge has sided with former President Donald Trump amid the ongoing Mar-a-Lago investigation
In a move that will likely come as a relief to Donald Trump, a federal judge has ruled that the former president does not have to provide a sworn declaration regarding claims the FBI “planted” evidence in his Mar-a-Lago resort.
Previously, Trump had been required to provide the declaration as part of the review process for the investigation.
But Judge Aileen Cannon, who is overseeing the Mar-a-Lago investigation, has now pushed back several key deadlines, extending the final date of completion from November to December.
This means that Trump will not have to confirm, under oath, his recent claims the FBI manufactured evidence against him
These are assertions which could be used against him if he is charged with any crimes.
Trump’s lawyers had argued that the president should not be required to provide a declaration, and it seems Judge Cannon has sided with them.
For now, Trump will not have to put his claims on the record.
Ian carves path of utter destruction
After devastating Florida, Hurricane Ian is headed for Carolinas, Georgia
A grim picture of Hurricane Ian’s horrific wreckage emerged Thursday, as millions of people in Florida faced destroyed homes, completely flooded streets and power outages.
The storm’s power turned out to be worse than many had predicted.
Unfortunately, families who did not evacuate have been left stranded as rising water tore through their homes.
So far, hundreds have been rescued from floodwaters, and emergency crews are still struggling to reach some of the most devastated areas.
According to the National Hurricane Center, a storm surge of 12-18 feet hit as destructive waves struck the coast.
Officials say the hurricane knocked out power to more than 2.6 million customers, mainly in southwest and central Florida.
Meanwhile, the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) says that the next 72 hours will certainly be the most critical when it comes to rescue missions.
President Biden said there were ‘early reports of what may be substantial loss of life’ saying, that the numbers are still unclear but there are early reports of fatalities.
The President added, “water rescue is critical—Coast Guard deployed 16 rescue helicopter, six fixed wing aircraft and 18-rescue boats and crews. That’s just one element of the many federal search and rescue teams that were pre-staged in Florida.”
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis detailed the state’s “monumental effort” to help aid recovery and eventually rebuild.
“Those were really difficult images to see but we’re committed to restoring the infrastructure as needed. That is not going to be an overnight task. That is going to require a lot of love and care—it’s going to require a lot of resources, but we’re going to do it because we understand how important it is.”
Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm
Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm as it continues north towards South Carolina
U.S. President Joe Biden says Hurricane Ian could be the deadliest storm in the region’s history, with early reports suggesting substantial loss of life.
Biden spoke at an afternoon briefing at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema).
Ian made landfall on Wednesday local time near the city of Fort Myers. It has led to severe flooding, high winds and storm surges.
Several areas remain submerged, and more than 2.5 million homes are without power.
Many residents are trapped in their homes and unable to escape. Search and rescue teams are working around the clock to provide assistance where they can.
5,000 Florida National Guard troops and 2,000 Guardsman from surrounding states have been deployed.
Eight teams with 800 members are carrying out search and rescue operations.
More than 200 public shelters have now been opened, housing around 34,000 people.
The National Hurricane Centre has downgraded Ian to a tropical storm for now but warns it will likely become a hurricane again later.
The entire coast of South Carolina is just the latest region to be placed on high alert as the storm continues north on its path of destruction.
Huge win for millions caught up in Optus data breach
NEW SCAM – Bart Simpson draws the eyes of unassuming crypto investors
What will Trevor Noah do now he’s exiting The Daily Show?
Crypto.com accidentally transfers $10.5m to woman instead of $100
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Russia has cancelled itself. But the world should beware of poking the Russian bear￼
Business2 days ago
Apple hack? distressing and offensive language alert
Ticker Views2 days ago
How close to a full scale nuclear war are we really?
Business2 days ago
Optusdata hacker mocked on social media for clumsy attack
Business7 hours ago
Apple exec fired over crude TikTok video
Business2 days ago
The best cities in the world to visit for an adventure holiday
Ticker Views21 hours ago
“These are the guys?” Putin’s Dad’s army
Tech2 days ago
War in Ukraine collides with world of tech
World1 day ago
Emergency services rush to a crash at Heathrow Airport in London