Canada officially seals men’s FIFA World Cup spot after 36 years
Signed, sealed, delivered: Canada is heading to the men’s FIFA world cup after 36 years
Canada has officially sealed their spot in the men’s FIFA World Cup after the team scored a tremendous victory in its qualifying match.
The team faced Jamaica at a highly anticipated match in Toronto, flexing their muscle with a 4-0 win. The men played a stunning game of football, with the match’s outcome clear from halftime.
Canada’s recent victory didn’t disappoint, with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau taking to social media to show his support and approval.
That’s what I’m talking about! Congratulations to the Canada men’s national soccer team – taking us to the World Cup for the first time in 36 years. #CANMNT https://t.co/nSnP88GGEg
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) March 27, 2022
The team has been moved from success to success under the guidance of coach John Herdman, with Canada sitting at its highest ever world ranking.
“I think this country, they never believed in us. Because we’ve given them nothing to believe in,”
“They believe now.
“And I think if we all get behind each other — this is the time for everyone to get behind football and unite. Because we can be a powerhouse. And it’s time.”
After a long hiatus, Canadians are leaping with joy as they officially deem themselves a true football country. Canada last qualified for the men’s World Cup was in 1986 in Mexico, where they suffered an embarrassing string of losses.
Qatar World Cup
The team will now compete at the World Cup in Qatar later this year alongside big opponents like Spain, England, Belgium, and Japan.
This will be the first World Cup tournament hosted in the Middle East and will kick off on November 21.
Rafa Nadal pulls out of French Open
The Spaniard has failed to regain full fitness from a hip injury sustained earlier this year
Rafa Nadal has delivered news that no tennis fan wanted to hear.
The King of Clay will miss the French Open after failing to regain full fitness from a hip injury suffered at the Australian Open back in January.
The 14-time Roland Garros winner says he expects to retire following the 2024 season.
Nadal has dominated the clay court season for close to two decades.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion fronted a widely anticipated press conference at his tennis academy in Mallorca to drop the bombshell, saying its the right thing to do for his body and personal happiness.
“I’ll look to be 100% ready for next year, which I believe will be the last year of my professional career,” Nadal told a news conference at his tennis academy in Mallorca, Spain.
“The evolution of the injury I sustained in Australia has not gone as I would have liked. I have lost goals along the way, and Roland Garros becomes impossible.”
“I’ll not establish a date for my return. I’ll see how my body responds and take it from there,” said the 36-year-old. “If I keep playing at this moment, I don’t think I can be there next year.
“I don’t know if I’ll be able to come back in the highest level and compete for Grand Slams. What I will try to do is to give myself the opportunity to go back to what could be my final year competing at the highest level.”
China expresses concerns about ‘politicisation of sports’
The East Asian nation raised the issue when Premier Li met with the head of the IOC, Thomas Bach
China has expressed concerns to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) about the politicisation of sporting events.
The issue was raised when Chinese Premier Li Qiang met Thomas Bach, the head of the IOC, in Beijing over the weekend.
“China’s efforts to promote the Olympic spirit will never cease, and [China is] ready to work with IOC to oppose the politicisation of sports, and make further contributions to the Olympic movement,” Li said.
It is rare for China to raise such concerns with the IOC in public, and it was the first time it had made such comments since the Winter Olympics in Beijing early last year.
The United States and several of its allies took part in a diplomatic boycott of the Games, citing alleged human rights abuse in China’s far west region of Xinjiang.
Beijing has repeatedly denied the accusation and said it opposes any attempts to politicise sporting events.
Tasmanian AFL team becomes reality
Tasmania will have a team in the AFL after all 18 current teams agreed to the motion
An exciting day for residents of the Australian state of Tasmania today.
Outgoing AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan confirming Tasmania has been granted the league’s 19th licence.
It follows the nation’s federal government confirming it will cover the $240 million shortfall to fund a new multi-purpose stadium at Macquarie Point.
This has long been viewed as Tasmania’s most significant hurdle for entry into the league.
All 18 clubs supported the state’s bid, before the AFL Commission agreed to a formal ratification.
McLachlan fronted a press conference at North Hobart Oval, alongside Premier Jeremy Rockliff, Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles and a whole host of players.
The CEO says the decision “will finally make [the] competitions truly national”. #trending #featured
Is journalism taking a hit in Ukraine?
Is ‘AI’ reducing connection and intimacy between couples?
Is ‘AI’ the future of fantasy?
Crypto.com accidentally transfers $10.5m to woman instead of $100
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Russia has cancelled itself. But the world should beware of poking the Russian bear￼
World4 days ago
Is the U.S. debt deal bad fiscal policy?
World6 days ago
Ukraine prepares for a summer of violence
World4 days ago
AI creates a song imitating Drake and The Weeknd
Crypto1 week ago
Who will win the global metaverse race?
World4 days ago
Everything you need to know about music NFTs
Crypto1 week ago
Is the metaverse the future of social network?
Insight5 days ago
Accelerating cybersecurity skills in the workforce
Business6 days ago
“I think there is a great risk”: will AI steal our jobs?