Connect with us

World

Australia lists Neo-Nazi hate group and Hezbollah as terrorist organisations

Published

on

Australia will list Hezbollah and ‘The Base’ as ‘terrorist organisations’

This extends a ban from Hezbollah armed units to the entire organisation, which controls much of Lebanon.

Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews says the decision brings Australia in line with allies like the US and Canada.

She says “there is no place in Australia for their hateful ideologies.”

Australia will also ban neo-Nazi group, The Base, which the Government says is “violent” and “racist”.

Andrews says “we know that there are individuals actively watching what is happening in Australia.”

Hezbollah’s external security branch has been listed as a terrorist organisation since 2003.

The Base had organised paramilitary training camps overseas, Ms Andrews said, with the chairman of Australia’s Anti-Defamation Commission, Dvir Abramovich, describing the group as a “ticking time bomb” and “problem from hell”.

“These violent extremists are ticking time bombs”

The Base is led by Rinaldo Nazzaro and is already listed as a terror organisation in the UK and US.

Nazzaro is a former FBI and Pentagon employee, who now lives in Russia.

The Base joins the only other far-right group on the list, Sonnenkrieg Division, which spouts a violent white-supremacist ideology.

“White supremacy in Australia a problem from hell,” Dr Abramovich told reporters on Wednesday.

“The Base and other neo-Nazi groups are a real threat to our safety and security and if we don’t act, it will cost lives.”

Dr Abramovich said The Base and other far-right groups operating in Australia target disaffected young white men into carrying out terror attacks, such as the Christchurch mosque tragedy.

He called the listing of Hezbollah “long overdue”.

Prior to today’s announcement, there were 26 organisations on Australia’s terror list.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

World

AUKUS meetings wrap up as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

Published

on

Australia's defence minister

The first AUKUS meetings wrap up in Washington as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

The first round of AUKUS meetings have wrapped up, with U.S. Defence Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin praising the talks as an “historic endeavour”.

Following an agreement made in Washington, Australia will have nuclear-powered submarines at the “earliest possible date”.

Defence Secretary Austin joined Australia’s Richard Marles and the UK’s Ben Wallace at the Pentagon. The leaders discussed key challenges and opportunities confronting the world right now.

High on the agenda was the contentious Indo-Pacific region, in response to “ongoing Chinese aggression”.

The meeting comes as Australia looks to move away from its conventional Collins-class subs and invest in nuclear-powered vessels.

The U.S. reaffirming its commitment to ensure its pacific partner will acquire this capability at the earliest possible date.

Australia’s Deputy PM and Defence Minister Richard Marles says the submarines are “central” to advancing the military capabilities of the alliance.

“There is an enormous sense of shared mission and momentum across all three countries, in having Australia acquire a nuclear powered submarine,” Marles said.

“The significance of that step shouldn’t be lost on people. There’s only been one occasion where a country has shared that capability with another. That was the United States with the United Kingdom a long time ago.”

But while we’ve heard the meetings went well, leaders are remaining tight-lipped about the exact details and any deals that have been made.

AUKUS has set a target of March 2023 to figure out a plan for Australia to acquire the nuclear subs.

Continue Reading

World

Arrests made in Germany over a suspicious plan

Published

on

Well arrests have been made in Germany over suspicious activity to overthrow the nation’s government.

Twenty-five people have been arrested as part of the raids across the country.

The group reportedly includes far-right and ex-military figures.

It’s understood they were planning to storm the nation’s parliament and take over control.

Suspects include racists and conspiracy theorists, and Q-Anon believers.

Three thousand officers took part in the sting involving 150 operations in 11 of Germany’s 16 states.

Arrests were also made in Italy and Austria.

Continue Reading

World

Twist in trial over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Published

on

There’s been an unusual development in the trial of Airbus and Air France over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Ticker’s Europe Correspondent Ryan Thompson has more from Paris

After weeks in court, prosecutors have decided NOT to ask for a conviction of the two French companies – even as they acknowledge that’s not what victims families would want.  

French prosecutors said they were unable to prove the companies were guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Their guilt “appears to us to be impossible to prove. We know that this view will most likely be difficult to hear for the civil plaintiffs,” prosecutors said.

Prosecutors initially dropped charges against the companies in 2019. This sparked anger in families of the victims.

A Paris appeals court overturned this decision in 2021 and ordered the trial to go ahead. 

“We have a prosecutor who is supposed to defend the people who in the end is defending the multinational Airbus,” Daniele Lamy, the head of victims’ association Entraide et Solidarite AF447, told reporters.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD