Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

U.S VP: ‘If we don’t stand up for our democracy, I mean, what do we have left worth fighting for?’

Published

on

Just days into her new role of advancing voter protections, Vice President Kamala Harris has advocated to her fellow American’s fundamental election rights.

It comes off the back of President Joe Biden announcing last week that he asked Harris to lead these efforts, over his administration’s concerns that voter rights are under assault.

Harris’s new role involves overseeing the progress of the “John Lewis Voting Rights Act” and the “For the People Act”, both of which may not pass despite Democratic majorities.

“These laws that are being passed are so transparently going to have the effect of impeding, suppressing and making it more difficult for people to vote,” Harris said during a news conference in Mexico City.

The bills follow Biden’s urgent efforts to reverse increasingly restrictive voting laws in Republican-controlled states.

Harris believes the right to vote is the cornerstone of who Americans say they are.

Harris says she will visit U.S/Mexico border

During her first international trip, Harris addressed U.S. President Joe Biden’s goals to curb migration at the southern border, naming the most pressing causes of migration from the Central America.

Mike Shanley, CEO, Aid Connect Data breaks down Harris Administration policy to address the migration issue at the US/Mexico border.

Harris, currently on the second half of her international tour of Guatemala and Mexico, recently told migrants “not to come to U.S”

This was said at a press conference with Guatemala’s president, Alejandro Giammattei, the former California senator spoke about investigating corruption and human trafficking in Central America.

“It’s an interesting statement because it definitely pushed the administration a bit more towards the centre. I know with with the administration came in on the right, there was some concerns that the policies would be too far left,” Shanley says.

“With comments like that, it definitely looks like they’re looking to move the policy more towards the centre, especially we’re past the 100 days mark.”

“In the US. We’ve already started the talks of the next election cycle for 2022. So, you know, comments like that. One consideration is always the next election cycle, and it’ll be the midterms, but how that’s going to affect congressional races and obviously, they would like the democrats to maintain a majority in both houses,” Mike concluded.

Will the foreign aid go directly to the Central American governments?

What role does the US hope Mexico will play?

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Shoppers cut back this Black Friday as budgets tighten

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.

Published

on

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.


Shoppers across the UK are revising their Black Friday game plan, tightening their budgets as economic pressures reshape spending behaviour. Many are approaching the sales season far more cautiously than before.

Consumers expect to spend an average of £622 this year — a 4% drop from last year — with many relying on discounts and promotions to stretch their budgets. Value is king, with 38% of shoppers saying they’ll only buy items that are at least 50% off.

Rising inflation and income disruptions are adding pressure, and even higher-income households plan to scale back spending across Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Brands and retailers will need to work harder to earn every pound this shopping season.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#BlackFriday2025 #HolidayShopping #ConsumerTrends #CostOfLiving #CyberMonday #RetailNews #ShoppingDeals #UKEconomy


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

National Guard ambush: Afghan man charged after D.C. shooting

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.

Published

on

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.


An Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, has been arrested after allegedly shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C. Authorities say Lakanwal previously worked with CIA-backed military units in Afghanistan before coming to the United States.

The victims, Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe, remain in critical condition. Officials warn that if either victim dies, the charges could escalate to first-degree murder as the investigation intensifies.

The FBI is now examining the case as a potential act of terrorism, while the Department of Homeland Security has announced a review of all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#WashingtonDC #NationalGuard #BreakingNews #USPolitics #FBIInvestigation #TerrorProbe #AsylumReview #TickerNews


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Hong Kong construction bosses arrested after city’s deadliest fire in decades

Hong Kong arrests construction bosses after deadly fire kills 83; 279 still missing as investigation intensifies.

Published

on

Hong Kong arrests construction bosses after deadly fire kills 83; 279 still missing as investigation intensifies.


Hong Kong has been shaken by the arrest of construction company bosses following the city’s most devastating fire in almost 80 years, which claimed at least 83 lives. The blaze erupted at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Tai Po, where renovation work was underway.

Authorities report that more than 4,600 residents lived in the high-rise blocks, with most victims found within two of the towers. Shockingly, 279 people remain unaccounted for nearly 24 hours after the fire first broke out.

The Hong Kong government has announced a HK$300 million emergency fund to support survivors and affected residents. Meanwhile, police are deepening their investigation, seizing documents and equipment from the company’s headquarters.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#HongKong #BreakingNews #AsiaNews #FireInvestigation #ConstructionNews #GlobalNews #TickerNews #WorldUpdates


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now