The threat of a Russian war is now becoming a grim reality in Ukraine, as the Kremlin increases its aggression with its neighbour
Russian-backed rebels say tens of thousands of people have left Donetsk and Luhansk to cross into southern Russia, as the threat of a war becomes a grim reality.
Families making the journey spoke to media in Ukraine about their experiences, with some saying they had not received the food and accommodation they had been promised by officials.
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a flower-laying ceremony at the Russian Civil War memorial on Unity Day, in Sevastopol, Crimea, on November 4, 2021. (Photo by Mikhail Metzel and Mikhail METZEL / SPUTNIK / AFP) (Photo by MIKHAIL METZEL/SPUTNIK/AFP
Ukrainian Government websites struck by cyber attack
Key Ukrainian government websites have been hit by what seems to be a cyber attack, with sits down early Thursday local time.
It follows a day in which Ukrainian agencies dealt with multiple cyberattacks and as concerns mounted over Russian troop movement into Ukraine’s separatist regions.
The websites of the Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers, as well as those of the ministries of foreign affairs, infrastructure, education and others, were hit with mass outages.
According to reports, a separate and potentially more serious hacking incident hours earlier, a data-wiping tool was found on hundreds of computers in Ukraine, according to cybersecurity researchers, raising concerns that a destructive cyberattack was unfolding amid Russia’s military escalation.
White House continues to monitor evolving situation in Ukraine / Image: File
Dnipro, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia airports in Ukraine closed until Thursday morning
Airports at Dnipro, Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine are closed to traffic until Thursday morning, according to notices to airmen issued by local authorities.
No reason was provided for the closures, which are due to end between 05:00 and 06:35 GMT, depending on the airport.
Russia shuts east Ukraine airspace – monitoring group
Russia has now issued a civil aviation notice, warning that it is closing virtually all of eastern Ukrainian airspace on the border with Russia, a monitoring group says.
The Open Source Intelligence Monitor says no “limit or ending time” has been provided so far by Moscow in its Notice to Airmen, known as Notam.
Antony Blinken’s cancels meeting with Russia’s Lavrov, warns of major threat
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has told NBC News: “Unfortunately, Russia has positioned its forces at the final point of readiness across Ukraine’s borders to the north, to the east, to the south. Everything seems to be in place for Russia to engage in a major aggression against Ukraine.”
America’s top diplomat also denied Washington was out of options to deter Russia. “I think [there’s] still an opportunity to avert a major aggression, although again, they’re in their final stages of being able to engage in one.
“We said very clearly that if Russia continues to escalate, so will we. And so they have to factor that in to what they’re thinking.
“At the end of the day, if that doesn’t stop President Putin, we’ve made very clear along with all of our allies and partners that there will be massive consequences going forward, a price that Russia will have to pay for a long, long time,” Blinken added.
In Short:
– Police seek former protection officers of Prince Andrew for info on alleged Epstein-related offences.
– Authorities consider removing Mountbatten-Windsor from royal succession after investigation conclusions.
British police are reaching out to former protection officers of Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his recent arrest related to allegations of misconduct in a public office.
The police have urged anyone with information about potential sex offences connected to Jeffrey Epstein to come forward.Authorities are considering legislative measures to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal succession line once the investigation concludes. Any changes would require consultation with other realms where King Charles is head of state.
The recent allegations stem from claims that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential government documents with Epstein during his time as a trade envoy. The London Metropolitan Police is now identifying former officers who may assist in the ongoing investigation and has encouraged them to share any pertinent information.
Mountbatten-Windsor has denied wrongdoing in the Epstein matter.
In 2022, he settled a civil lawsuit filed in the U.S. by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse. Reports indicated he paid her approximately £12 million, a claim he denies.
Police Investigation
London authorities are reassessing previous decisions not to pursue criminal investigations related to Epstein’s activities.
Recent document releases from the U.S. government have prompted police to explore allegations of human trafficking involving Epstein at UK airports.
Police have been actively searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s residences as part of their investigation. His arrest marks an unprecedented event in modern royal history, raising significant public interest and concern in various countries.
In Short:
– The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that Trump lacks authority for tariffs without Congress support.
– Over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers complicate the tariff issue, particularly for smaller businesses.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, stating he lacks the authority to impose tariffs without clear congressional support. Trump expressed disappointment and plans to implement a new 10% global tariff under different legal provisions.
Economists estimate more than $175 billion is at risk of refunds related to previously established tariffs, with potential litigations expected to last several years.Trump’s administration faces over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers in the Court of International Trade, which ruled it can grant refunds to affected businesses. Each importer may need to pursue individual lawsuits, complicating the process, especially for smaller businesses that could find the financial burden prohibitive.
Learning Resources Inc., a toy company led by Rick Woldenberg, has contested these tariffs, potentially qualifying for refunds. Woldenberg hopes the Supreme Court ruling will initiate reflection on necessary economic adjustments.
Economic Impact
Economists suggest consumers may not notice significant changes due to persistent tariffs on numerous products. U.S. Treasury estimates predict the deputy’s revenue will remain largely unchanged despite Trump’s new plans to increase tariffs through other channels, specifically under Sections 122 and 301 of the Trade Act.
Trump’s forthcoming address to Congress is expected to address the implications of this ruling, which notably undermines a fundamental aspect of his trade agenda.
Despite past assurances regarding reform, uncertainties remain for both businesses and consumers as the administration explores future tariff strategies.
Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.
Bill Gates has withdrawn from India’s AI Impact Summit just hours before his keynote, as scrutiny grows over his past ties to Jeffrey Epstein following the release of US Justice Department emails.
The summit has faced criticism over organisational issues and traffic disruptions, drawing attention away from its mission. Despite the chaos, it has secured over $200 billion in investment commitments, including a major pledge from Reliance Industries.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi used the platform to stress the importance of protecting children in the rapidly evolving world of AI.