Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Debt limit fight in Washington: will the U.S. default on June 1?

Published

on

It’s déjà vu all over again.  Today Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned the United States will be unable to pay its bills on June 1 – unless the debt limit is raised.  Now.

It feels like the Washington summer of 2011. Debt limit politics were hurtling Congress and the White House towards a default for the first time in its history. On August 5 of that summer, Standard & Poor’s, surveying a battlefield of stalemate and brinkmanship, lowered the credit rating of the United States.  It cost US taxpayers tens of billions of dollars in higher interest rate payments. S&P said:

“The downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenge.” 

That was then.

American policymaking and political institutions are significantly weaker today.

The debt limit – the number of dollars the overall national debt can reach – is set by Congress by statute.

The amount of debt reflects the money Congress has voted to spend and the tax revenues that are collected.  

In Washington, when Congress refuses to increase the debt limit, it means Congress is refusing to pay for the expenditures it has required the government to spend.  Raising the debt limit means authorising a higher level of national debt to cover spending that has already happened.

The debt limit is like your credit card:  each month, you have to pay back the money you have spent – or you go into default.  

The politics of the debt limit are invidious.  For three decades, Republicans have played “gotcha”: with the debt limit – especially when Democratic presidents are in the White House. 

Why play “gotcha”? To go after those wild-spending, reckless radical Democrats with their out-of-control programs that add to the deficit and bankrupts the country. To get an edge in the next election for control of the House and the Senate.

It does not matter that the currency of debt-limit-gotcha politics is counterfeit – nothing to lose in making the attack.

In 2011, the Republicans demanded, with the debt limit approaching $14.3 trillion, President Obama accept $2 trillion in spending cuts – cuts that would reach deep into Medicare and a host of other domestic programs – in exchange for $800 billion in new revenues.  

It was a searing confrontation.  On August 1, Vice President Joe Biden met with the House Democrats to discuss what was an unholy mess. (I was in the room, and this is recounted in my book with Bryan Marshall, The Committee).  That day, Biden said:

“The whole debate and debacle is not about the debt limit or the deficit. It’s about fundamentally altering how government functions. They are using the deficit they created to decimate the social structure of this country. You [the Democrats in Congress] have educated us all to how far out these guys are.  There are 100 in the House and 10 in the Senate who would take this country over the cliff.”

Those “far out guy” numbers among the Republicans in this Congress have doubled.

Last week, with Joe Biden as president, House Republicans voted to raise the debt limit – provided Biden accept their cuts of $4.8 trillion in everything from health care to education to child nutrition to clean energy, and much more.

Joe Biden remembers all the lessons from the closest of calls with default 12 years ago. Those “far out guys” are now the Trump MAGA Republicans with their slash-and-burn agenda and priorities. Biden hated being muscled by them then and he has no intention of surrendering to them now and allowing them to “decimate the social structure” of the United States.

Biden also knows what the Republicans did when Trump was president. Those same Republicans increased the debt limit 3 times, by $7.8 trillion – with no government spending cuts and huge tax cuts that primarily benefited the wealthiest Americans.

Biden is asking the Republicans simply to do what they did for Trump 3 times. They have refused. They were not shocked by the Trump deficits, but the Biden deficits are a catastrophe.

Biden is done playing this game. 

This is why he says he is happy to discuss government taxes and spending until the cows come home – but that raising the debt limit is “not negotiable.”

The current debt limit impasse is more dangerous than the 2011 crisis, for three reasons:

  • Republican Speaker McCarthy has told colleagues that the spending cuts passed by the House – by a 1-vote margin – was not a “ceiling” but a “floor” on spending cuts.  In other words, he has no intention of retreating from those cuts. He cannot give them up. As Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has said:

“He’s (McCarthy) stuck. How is he going to negotiate when he’s promised everyone he’s not going to change the bill? … His passing a bill was a step backward and brought us closer to default.”

  • A default by the United States is likely to plunge the economy into a recession that will last well into next year.  While Republicans will get the blame for starting it, President Biden will get the blame for not ending it – just as he faces the voters for re-election in 2024.
  • There are no guardrails on how radical the Republican mood is. As Norman Ornstein, a leading US political scientist, advised last week:

“Far more than in 2011, a hard core of hard-core extremists in the House would be fine with a default. For many, blowing up government would make the price of economic chaos worth it; for others, the likelihood that a default would be blamed more on the president makes it a tempting ploy.”

President Biden is not going to dismantle his legislative achievements to capitulate to Republican demands to cut spending and cripple his presidency when they rewarded Donald Trump’s uncontrolled fiscal binges.

This crisis is much harder.   Democrats will not give in to the Republicans taking the debt limit hostage and using it to harm the livelihoods of tens of millions of Americans. In the House, McCarthy dare not cut a deal with Biden that fails to get a majority of his caucus to support it. And even if he does reach a deal with Biden, the Republicans in his caucus may well move to oust him.  In the Senate, any deal with Biden has to get the support of no less than 10 Republican votes. Those votes do not exist today.

The alchemy to solve this problem – substantively or procedurally – has not been invented yet.

This calculus means that default is more likely now than at any time in American history.  More likely now than when Biden faced this crisis and spoke to the Democrats 12 years ago.  

Bruce Wolpe is a Ticker News US political contributor. He’s a Senior Fellow at the US Studies Centre and has worked with Democrats in Congress during President Barack Obama's first term, and on the staff of Prime Minister Julia Gillard. He has also served as the former PM's chief of staff.

News

UK police seek former aides’ insights on Prince Andrew

UK police contact ex-protection officers of Prince Andrew amid misconduct investigation linked to Jeffrey Epstein allegations

Published

on

UK police contact ex-protection officers of Prince Andrew amid misconduct investigation linked to Jeffrey Epstein allegations

video
play-sharp-fill
In Short:
– Police seek former protection officers of Prince Andrew for info on alleged Epstein-related offences.
– Authorities consider removing Mountbatten-Windsor from royal succession after investigation conclusions.
British police are reaching out to former protection officers of Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his recent arrest related to allegations of misconduct in a public office.
The police have urged anyone with information about potential sex offences connected to Jeffrey Epstein to come forward.Authorities are considering legislative measures to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal succession line once the investigation concludes. Any changes would require consultation with other realms where King Charles is head of state.

Banner

The recent allegations stem from claims that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential government documents with Epstein during his time as a trade envoy. The London Metropolitan Police is now identifying former officers who may assist in the ongoing investigation and has encouraged them to share any pertinent information.

Mountbatten-Windsor has denied wrongdoing in the Epstein matter.

In 2022, he settled a civil lawsuit filed in the U.S. by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse. Reports indicated he paid her approximately £12 million, a claim he denies.

Police Investigation

London authorities are reassessing previous decisions not to pursue criminal investigations related to Epstein’s activities.

Recent document releases from the U.S. government have prompted police to explore allegations of human trafficking involving Epstein at UK airports.

Police have been actively searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s residences as part of their investigation. His arrest marks an unprecedented event in modern royal history, raising significant public interest and concern in various countries.


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs, plans 10% global levy

Trump vows new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court rules against his previous tariffs, calling the decision ‘deeply disappointing’

Published

on

Trump vows new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court rules against his previous tariffs, calling the decision ‘deeply disappointing’

video
play-sharp-fill
In Short:
– The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that Trump lacks authority for tariffs without Congress support.
– Over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers complicate the tariff issue, particularly for smaller businesses.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, stating he lacks the authority to impose tariffs without clear congressional support. Trump expressed disappointment and plans to implement a new 10% global tariff under different legal provisions.
Economists estimate more than $175 billion is at risk of refunds related to previously established tariffs, with potential litigations expected to last several years.Trump’s administration faces over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers in the Court of International Trade, which ruled it can grant refunds to affected businesses. Each importer may need to pursue individual lawsuits, complicating the process, especially for smaller businesses that could find the financial burden prohibitive.

Banner

Learning Resources Inc., a toy company led by Rick Woldenberg, has contested these tariffs, potentially qualifying for refunds. Woldenberg hopes the Supreme Court ruling will initiate reflection on necessary economic adjustments.

Economic Impact

Economists suggest consumers may not notice significant changes due to persistent tariffs on numerous products. U.S. Treasury estimates predict the deputy’s revenue will remain largely unchanged despite Trump’s new plans to increase tariffs through other channels, specifically under Sections 122 and 301 of the Trade Act.

Trump’s forthcoming address to Congress is expected to address the implications of this ruling, which notably undermines a fundamental aspect of his trade agenda.

Despite past assurances regarding reform, uncertainties remain for both businesses and consumers as the administration explores future tariff strategies.


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Bill Gates withdraws from India AI Impact Summit before keynote

Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Published

on

Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Bill Gates has withdrawn from India’s AI Impact Summit just hours before his keynote, as scrutiny grows over his past ties to Jeffrey Epstein following the release of US Justice Department emails.

The summit has faced criticism over organisational issues and traffic disruptions, drawing attention away from its mission. Despite the chaos, it has secured over $200 billion in investment commitments, including a major pledge from Reliance Industries.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi used the platform to stress the importance of protecting children in the rapidly evolving world of AI.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now